LASIK may be the most commonly performed refractive surgery procedure, but it's certainly not your only option. If you're not a good LASIK candidate, there are several other alternatives which can restore clear, sharp vision just as effectively as LASIK. One of these options is Visian ICL.
Visian ICL (implantable collamer lens) is a type of intraocular lens implant that gets inserted into your eye in order to correct nearsightedness (myopia). It functions similarly to a contact lens, but with a few important differences. Contact lenses are removed and replaced on a regular basis. However, your Visian ICL is permanently implanted inside your eye. This ensures long term results while getting rid of the hassles associated with removing and cleaning contact lenses every day.
The only way to determine whether Visian ICL is the right vision correction option for you is to visit our ophthalmologists for an evaluation. Please call (845) EYE-CARE today to schedule your free consultation at one of our offices, conveniently serving Poughkeepsie and the entire Hudson Valley area.
How Visian ICL Works
Our ophthalmologists will place the Visian ICL between your iris and your eye's natural lens during a surgical procedure. The implantable collamer lens will bend light that enters your eye to ensure it focuses properly on your retina.
The surgical procedure used to place the Visian ICL in your eye is very similar to the procedure used to replace your eye's natural lens during cataract surgery. The only significant difference is that your eye's natural lens won't be removed during the Visian ICL procedure. Since it is a "phakic" lens, it is used in conjunction with your natural lens instead of as a replacement.
Your Visian ICL procedure can be completed in approximately 15 minutes. There is minimal discomfort during the procedure, and you won't be able to feel the lens inside your eye after surgery is completed. But most importantly, you will eliminate the daily maintenance required when you wear contact lenses.
Your vision should improve immediately following your procedure, and you can resume regular activities the following day.
Visian ICL Candidacy Requirements
Visian ICL candidates:
- Would like to correct refractive vision errors associated with nearsightedness
- Have healthy eyes
- Are between the ages of 21 and 25
- Are not pregnant or nursing
Benefits of Visian ICL
You will experience the following benefits from Visian ICL:
- Improved distance vision -- Clinical studies indicate that approximately 95% of Visian ICL patients achieve 20/40 vision or better
- Effective LASIK alternative -- If your corneas are too thin for LASIK or if dry eye syndrome rules you out as a LASIK candidate, Visian ICL can help you achieve comparable results
- Wide treatment range -- Visian ICL has the widest treatment range of any refractive surgery option, making it an excellent option for patients whose nearsightedness is too severe to achieve great results with LASIK
- Minimal recovery time -- The collamer lens used in your Visian ICL procedure is foldable, which reduces the size of the incision. This also reduces recovery time.
- UV protection -- The collagen material used in the Visian ICL offers some protection against harmful UV rays. However, it is still a good idea to wear sunglasses to maximize your UV protection.
Please contact Seeta Eye today to schedule your free Visian ICL consultation. We serve patients in Poughkeepsie, Yorktown, and the nearby Hudson Valley areas.