LASIK laser eye surgery has helped millions achieve perfect or near-perfect vision since its FDA approval in 1991. Our patients at Seeta Eye Centers often ask how long their LASIK results will last. The good news is that, for the majority of men and women who have LASIK, the vision correction is permanent. There are several factors involved when it comes to the lasting effects of LASIK including:
- Your age plays a big role in how long your LASIK results last—when you turn 45, your eyes are subject to change due to the aging process.
- Your genetic predisposition to degenerative eye conditions such as age-related macular degeneration, cataracts and glaucoma.
- The severity of your vision impairment—some patients may require reading glasses after LASIK, but will still have remarkably better vision.
- Whether your vision has been stable for several years—this is why LASIK candidates must be at least 18-years-old.
- The experience level of the laser eye surgeon—the safety and effectiveness of your LASIK procedure depends heavily on the expertise of the doctor.
In the 25 years since LASIK was introduced to the ophthalmology world, there have been more than 30 lasers approved by the FDA. This allows for customized LASIK and precise vision correction to give you the best results possible. If your vision does start to slightly decrease, you can have additional laser surgery, but the changes are usually so minor that men and women only require eyeglasses for specific tasks and activities.
If you're tired of wearing contacts and eyeglasses, call our LASIK doctor in Highland today at 845-454-1025 to schedule your eye exam and consultation. Seeta Eye Centers serve clients in Highland, Poughkeepsie, Yorktown and surrounding areas of New York.