The first 24 hours following your LASIK eye surgery are the most important part of the healing process. Our eye surgeon will walk you through the entire LASIK procedure during your consultation to ensure you know what to expect before, during and after your laser surgery. We will give you eye care directions, prescriptions for eye drops and eye shields to protect your eyes for the first 24 hours and while you sleep during the next week or longer.
Some vital pieces of information to remember during your first day of recovery include:
- Avoid rubbing your eyes. You’ll probably feel like there’s something in your eye or feel a burning or itching sensation. You could also experience mild pain, but do not rub your eyes. Rubbing your eyes could dislodge the flap creating during your LASIK procedure and may also increase your risk of infection. The eye shields we give you will help prevent accidental eye rubbing.
- Keep your eyes closed as much as possible. For the first few hours following your eye surgery, try to keep your eyes closed. Consider taking a nap to give your eyes a break as they will likely be watering. This will help with any discomfort you may feel as well.
- Avoid digital screens. While this isn’t mandatory, avoiding digital screens can prevent unnecessary discomforts such as excessive tearing and eyestrain.
- Don’t apply eye makeup. Wearing eyeliner, mascara or eye shadow will irritate your eyes and could increase your risk of inflammation and infection.
- Use eye drops and artificial tears as recommended. We will give you detailed instructions on how to properly administer eye drops and how often you need to use them.
- Call Seeta Eye Care Center if your symptoms worsen. We will see you for a follow-up appointment the day after you have LASIK to make sure your recovery is going well, but if you are in a significant amount of pain and your vision worsens, call us immediately.
LASIK eye surgery has given millions of men and women perfect vision. However, your outcome depends heavily on how well you care for your eyes after your procedure.
If you’re interested in LASIK, please contact our eye doctors in Poughkeepsie and Fishkill today at 845-454-1025 to schedule your consultation. Seeta Eye Care Centers serve patients throughout New York including Poughkeepsie, Fishkill, Hudson Valley and Dutchess County.