Most of us use computers, tablets or cell phones every day. These powerful tools are indispensable for work and for our busy social lives. Over time, these devices can cause serious strain and even injury to the eyes. Our Highland ophthalmology experts would like to share some tips on how to minimize the strain from glowing screens on your eyes.
- Get a comprehensive eye exam - Even if you don’t work at a computer, having a routine eye care exam is one of the most important steps you can take to protecting your vision.
- Use proper lighting – Harsh lighting conditions can cause severe eye strain. If possible, try to reduce the ambient lighting in your work environment.
- Minimize glare – Glare from reflective surfaces can add to eye strain as well. Try using an anti-glare screen on your computer monitor or getting eyeglasses with anti-reflective (AR) coating.
- Adjust your display settings – You may not be able to do much about your office environment, but your monitor settings can make a big difference. Reduced brightness and contrast and larger text size can go a long way to reducing eye strain.
- Take frequent breaks – Even a five minute break from your computer can make a difference.
- Consider computer glasses – You may not need vision correction, but eyeglasses that are specifically designed for computer work can reduce strain with mild magnification and AR coating.
If you would like to find out more about eye strain and how you can reduce it, please contact us at 845-454-1025 . At Seeta Eye Care Centers, we are dedicated to helping residents of Highland, Poughkeepsie, Fishkill, and the surrounding areas of New York with any vision related issues.